Kauffman Stadium is highly regarded as a family-friendly destination for baseball fans in Kansas City. The Royals offer a number of family days with special promotions and have even built a field for kids within Kauffman Stadium.
If you know you want to bring the family along to a Royals game but are undecided as to which game to go to, consider Friday night and Sunday afternoon games first. From May through August, Friday nights at the K become fireworks nights. The Royals put on an awe-inspiring display of fireworks that shoot off over center field. On these nights, you'll want to avoid seats in the outfield and far down the line. We recommend sections behind home plate on the 400 level for the best views and a little lighter dent on the wallet.
Another consideration for a family outing is to attend a Sunday afternoon game. The crowds at these games is usually less inebriated than you would find on a Friday and Saturday night. Furthermore, all kids 14 and younger can run the bases after the game. For these games - and all afternoon games - pay close attention to the weather. Kauffman Stadium is one of the hottest stadiums in the country and sitting in the right row can make the difference between a pleasant afternoon and a painful sunburn.
The third base side is the less sunny side of Kauffman Stadium. The sun will set behind these sections - making them the first to get the shade. Loge sections on this side of the field (303-311) are the absolute best way to stay out of the sun. These seats are fully covered and most rows will be shaded - no matter where the sun is. When the forecast is expected to be hot, ticket prices in these sections skyrocket - but we tend to think they're worth it.
Other considerations for shade include the upper rows of sections 209-225 and 403-415. Between these two options, the 200 level seats are far superior in nearly every aspect (closer to the field, better shade, better accessibility) but also come with a much higher ticket price.
If you're going to the game on a non-fireworks day and the weather will be bearable, consider sitting in the Sonic Slam seats in Sections 101-103. These seats are in home run territory, and each time a Royals player hits a blast into these sections, all fans seated here win a free Sonic Slush and Sonic gift card. These sections are also situated just in front of the fountains and the Outfield Experience.
The main feature of the Outfield Experience (located behind left field seats) is Little K - a miniature ballpark built for kids. Little ones are encouraged to hit, run and throw on the field before and during the Royals game. Other activities located nearby include mini-golf, batting practice and pitching practice.
- Close to to the Outfield Experience with the Little K field for kids
- Sonic Slam seats just in front of the famed fountains
- Cheapest ticket price on the lower level
- Smallest sections in the upper level with fewer than 12 rows and fewer than 6 seats in most rows
- Excellent view of the videoboard and Friday night fireworks
- More affordable ticket price than seating on the lower levels
- These loge sections offer the best shade and cover at Kauffman Stadium
- Excellent views of the field and scoreboard to keep the kids engaged
- Close to the family restroom at section 304
- Seats are fully covered and mostly shaded in the afternoon to keep the whole family cool
- With the section entrance at the top of each section, the higher rows make for quicker trips for food and washroom breaks
- Just a short walk from the Outfield Experience in left field - an area full of fun activities for kids